Wednesday 5 June 2013

All around my village...

You may remember a little while ago a little post entitled "All Around My House" where I showed you some nooks and crannies around our gaff.  I am fascinated by the small details of people's houses, so I am planning a few more of these posts at some time in the future, but because the weather's been that little bit nicer later I thought I'd treat you to some pictures from around the village I live in instead....

I LOVE walking past this little stall at the side of the road, it's been there for years and I can remember it as a little girl.  It usually has plants, vegetables, sometimes a little bunch or two of Sweet Williams.  It warms my heart to see it whenever I pass by.


There are a lot of peculiar little signs dotted around the village, on the outskirts, in woodland, all over the shop!  They always make me appreciate that some parts of our countryside really have changed much in hundreds of years.


I love this telephone box!  Not just because you don't see them all that often any more, but also because my village has big plans for it!  You may have heard of the good old British telephone box being used by some villages recently to house miniature libraries or little shops, well that's far too ordinary for us!  My village plans to use our telephone box to house a Community Use Defibrillator should anyone have a heart attack and need emergency assistance.   Because we're quite rural it can take the emergency services a little while to get to us, when someone has a heart attack this initial stage is key, so hopefully having this here will save lives!


And lastly, here is our local neighbourhood dragon!  Carved into a hillside by a local landowner - well it's something to do isn't it?  There are many local legends about villagers fighting off a dragon, so we love this little hillside chap.  Excuse the sheep on his tummy!  A sheep's gotta eat!


Hope you enjoyed this little look around the place that I live!  I'd love to see some bits and bobs around your local area!

Love, love,




26 comments:

  1. So sweet, I love the telephone box you really don't see them enough anymore ;0)

    http://dizzymissjames.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love a good old fashioned red box too :)

      Delete
  2. I loved looking around your village Kate and now it's got me thinking what I can show you from mine :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love a nose Jess!! I look forward to your post xx

      Delete
  3. I enjoy looking around other peoples neighborhoods, the telephone box is cool, you don't see those in the states anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My little girl finds the idea of a public phone box really strange! She can't understand why we would need them :)

      Delete
  4. I do love having a nose and your village looks lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia! I have to say it is pretty lovely :)

      Delete
  5. Aww this is a lovely post Kate!! You've inspired me, I think I'll do something similar! :)

    Hayley
    Sparkles &

    Stretchmarks

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fantastic!!! Really looking forward to seeing Hayley :) xxx

      Delete
  6. Oh to live in a place where the local landmarks were red telephone boxes not fried chicken shops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay village pics!!!! And yay for your village for coming up with such a clever & useful use for the phone box. We live rural too & a lot of local places have defibrillators available-- it is a must! Well done! And bring on more village life pictures, I love them!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To start with I thought it was a strange idea, I had visions of unruly youths stealing it for a bit of fun, but once it was explained to me I thought it was sheer genius!! Thank you Taby, you are lovely :~)

      Delete
  8. aw great pictures, we all too often just walk passed without stopping and appreciating what is right in front of us.

    Love the dragon

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachael! I couldn't agree more! :)

      Delete
  9. Oh so lovely! Fab idea to capture your village's idiosyncrasies like that. LOVE the dragon! Found you via #PoCoLo. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by Vicky! I love this village for those many little reasons :)

      Delete
  10. Lovely idea! I grew up in a village. #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my little village! I feel very lucky to live here :)

      Delete
  11. What a great idea - I am definitely doing this when we move. What a lovely thing to do with the telephone box - very innovative. Thank you for linking up to PoCoLo xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see Tori! I am so nosey, I love a good butchers at what surrounds people!

      Delete
  12. Love the phone box use too, our neighbouring village uses theirs as a book exchange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's great that people have come up with exciting ways of utilising them! I think ours might need a clean before it houses any medical equipment though!!!

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by! I love reading your lovely comments x

If you're a rotten stinking spambot; shoooooo! Away with you!!